Kennett is a respected commercial construction company with more than a century of experience in construction excellence. Established by brothers Clifford and Charles Kennett in 1914, the company now operates across Adelaide, Mount Gambier and Melbourne.

The Kennett team delivers award-winning projects across a range of industry sectors under the leadership of its fourth generation, brothers James and Scott Kennett. They lead a dedicated team of construction specialists who are passionate about developing strong partnerships with clients, architects and consultants to deliver projects that exceed their expectations. This relationship ethos and focus on quality are fundamental values that have been passed down through each generation.

Where We Began

From the outset, brothers Clifford and Charles quickly earned a reputation for building quality, and by the early 1920s were overseeing a team of 80 tradesmen building homes in what is now inner-city Adelaide. During the depression years they won a contract to build public housing for what was to be the satellite city of Elizabeth, now part of metropolitan Adelaide.

The post-World War II migration boom fueled demand for more housing, which Kennett continued to service while making its first forays into commercial construction and the creation of a hardware supplies business and joinery workshop to support the construction arms.

In the 1960s and 1970s, Charles Kennett’s sons Neil and Dean guided the expansion of the business into Mount Gambier, where the company was appointed to build 50 homes for the-then South Australian Housing Trust. The company has since thrived in the South-East, delivering a variety of major projects for the South Australian Government, the City of Mount Gambier, the Grant District Council and health and education providers.

Having begun as an apprentice carpenter at Kennett in 1974, the current chair of Kennett, John Kennett, became sole owner in 1992, reinforcing in his team the values of professionalism, integrity, quality and respect that his forefathers had passed on.

Kennett has since grown, enabling the fourth generation, John’s sons James and Scott, to take the helm.

With the Kennett values instilled in them and the family name a hallmark for construction quality, James and Scott together with their Executive Board and dedicated construction teams around them, are embarking on a new era of controlled growth.

The Lintel Stone

In 1984, the Kennett team was refurbishing an Adelaide nursing home that was originally built as one of Kennett’s first projects in 1914.

A 94-year-old resident of the home advised the Kennett site manager that a surprise would be waiting upon demolition of a particular wall. Amongst the rubble, the Kennett team found a broken sandstone lintel clearly bearing the name ‘Kennett’ and ‘1914’. The second missing piece was suspected to be on its way to the waste depot.

The truck was requested to return to site, where the perplexed driver watched workers sift through the rubble to recover the missing lintel piece, inscribed ‘Bros’. Today, the lintel takes pride of place in the Kennett head office, overlooking the construction teams and serving as a reminder of our origins.

When John Kennett asked the resident how he knew what lay beneath, the gentleman revealed he was a plasterer working on the original build and remembered the bricklayers carving the company name into the soft stone during their lunch break.

Learn about our Executive Team here.

Learn about our Structure here.

Learn about our Systems here.

Learn about our Awards here.

James & Scott Kennett, 2018

Brothers Clifford & Charles Kennett, circa 1914

Berri Hotel project with Lucas & Parker (now JPE Design), circa early 1950s

100 Year Centenary celebrations, 2014

First Generation, Kennett Bros